Oct 28, 2013

Music Themed Movies

So, there are few movies on Music that I have watched, close to the heels of me watching this one called "Almost Famous", I thought if the list is amazing, it must be somewhere. And this is my go-to place to preach anything longer than 140 characters. Here's the list in no particular order:

1. August Rush: I have never been so awed by a movie as much as August Rush. The movie itself feels like music and its worth your while. There is a sense of completeness to the movie, perhaps the ending makes it complete.

2. The Boat That Rocked: This is a movie that tickled the rebel in me. A rebel outfit running a radio station from the boat and how they sustain it and their own life stories. That's what the movie is about. Rebel outfit not just because running the radio station is illegal, but, because of what appears to be their own rejection of the 'normal' in the world. This movie is classy and deserves your time.

3. Across the Universe: The story of this movie is told through the songs of The Beatles. The meat in the story isn't as much as the manner in which it is told. If you don't listen to The Beatles so much, you may not like the movie, because, the soul of the movie is in its songs.

4. Nowhere Boy: This is supposed to be the biopic or at least the growing years of John Lennon. I am not sure if they have got all the facts right, but it makes a great movie to watch to learn the formative years of the world's greatest rock band.




5. Once: Of course you've read my take on the movie Once

6. Almost Famous: This is a wonderful story that brings what happens behind the scenes when a band is touring. It is also a story of a boy who wants to follow his passion and does anything to do so. This is a story on parenting that shows at the same time how suffocating it can be and how nurturing it can be. Its a story that brings out the human side of the rock stars and tries to bare it all.

If you can think of any other movie with music as its central theme, please do mention it in the comments!

3 comments:

Adhwaryou said...

You missed That Thing You Do. Tom Hanks. Class Act.

VipulA said...

I really liked Almost Famous. But I could not sit through Across the Universe. I just did not get it - even if I were to look at it as a homage or a musical it seemed to fall flat on so many aspects.
I do like School of Rock - its funny and its a decent underdog story ( even though it may have been done a 100 times)

Anonymous said...

@Vipula: Across the Universe is really bad. School of Rock? I need to watch that one.

@Adhwaryou: Oh yeah!"That Thing You Do" is a good one too. Thanks.